WHAT IS NANOTECHNOLOGY?
Nanotechnology is the manipulation of matter at an atomic and molecular level. It refers to the scientific field, which deals with very small structures. One nanometer stands for one billionth of a meter (10‐9 m) and it is so small that:
- A sheet of paper is about 100,000 nanometers thick
- A strand of human DNA is 2.5 nanometers in diameter
- There are 25,400,000 nanometers in one inch
- A human hair is approximately 80,000- 100,000 nanometers wide
- A single gold atom is about a third of a nanometer in diameter
- On a comparative scale, if the diameter of a marble was one nanometer, then diameter of the Earth would be about one meter!